Ken Foskey wrote:
On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 17:59 +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:

If someone think it's reasonable to suppress a warning, this must be discussed with the team members. It should also be discussed in public, using the mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] Please start the subject with “compiler warnings:”.

* Initially I would suggest -Wno-reorder (I think)

There are a HUGE number of errors caused simply by the order of the
variables in the class declaration and I have only found one instance
where it indicated a real error (parent initialisation depended on child
data).  The needle for this one is small and the haystack particularly
large.  Because of the pervasiveness of this change merges afterwards a
PAINFUL!  I speak from experience.  I would think about doing this
module by module as a separate exercise.

In the low-level modules, up to offuh, I only came by a handful of such warnings, so I just changed the code there. Lets see what the experiences are when we go up the module tree, and we should definitely keep your words in mind, thanks.

* Second possibly -Wno-unknown-pragmas.

Not came by a single instance of that one, yet.

There are a few pragmas for VC that are in the code and don't really
affect things.  I have bracketted them but effort for return is fairly
low.

* Before you start you might want to merge cws waratahbasctl.  This is a
warnings cws that has lingered for want of a QA person.  Have a look at
the assignment bug contained within.

I will have a look at that one, thanks.

* I also have a large number of patches that I can apply to save you
time.  I will also volunteer to assist :-)

Are these patches visible anywhere? I ask because if each patch is concerned with a single module, for example, it would IMO make sense that the person assigned for that module directly coordinates with you what to do with that patch.

* In the interim I would recommend adding immediately BY DEFAULT
-Wparentheses to the gcc compile.  This really does highlight a number
of problems with the code, good return error for extra warning ratio.

-Wparentheses is already covered by -Wall (remember, our aim is to make the code base -Wall clean). And yes, I too alredy found more than one error thanks to that switch...

Thanks again for your input,
-Stephan