Éric Bischoff wrote:
I suppose the debian folks have no problem to build a debian package starting from the source tree, which they can simply checkout through anonymous CVS, for example. They build it and then package the result, and they have both the source and the binary debian packages.

I guess you can also run "alien" to install the latest beta RPM binaries on a debian-based system.

Finally, I have seen that the build process uses a kind of "meta-package builder". I suppose it could be adapted to generate .deb packages too. No?

I don't use (or particularly care for) Debian, either, though.  :-)

There are a bajillion distributions out there. If you plan on primarily distributing OOo in binary format, you can't decide to package it in a distribution-specific package management system.

Rob