Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany wrote:
Hi,

every time I'm writing a piece of code, and need some helper class which
I assume is already implemented somewhere (since my requirement sounds
quite generic), I can't help but get the impression that we have
hundreds of helper implementations, of which 95% are unknown to 95% of
us developers.

That is, comphelper and unotools (my two favourites) alone contain more
than 100 files, not to mention cppuhelper, salhelper, and (for higher
levels) tools & svtools (plus maybe more).

The most files therein are completely unknown to me (side note: though
they are young enough that the interface they implement should have been
announced in interface-announce@openoffice.org :( ).

Maybe it's only me, but somehow I believe that a lot of us don't even
know the goodies which hide in the various *helper places, and thus
either unnecessarily re-implement them, or simply produce code which
could have been more elegant, and/or more robust, and/or easier to
maintain, and/or easier to read, ... (continue at will).

What I would like to suggest is some kind of "Helper of the Day"
initiative. People who know a certain piece of (helper) code in one of
the above-mentioned projects should introduce this piece to others,
shortly saying what it is (and perhaps what it is _not_) good for.
Ideally, this means just copying the code's documentation into an email,
less ideally, this means writing this documentation first.

Those mails could, in irregular order, be posted to some list (probably
[EMAIL PROTECTED], or [EMAIL PROTECTED], or ?). If we give them a tag (say:
[HOTD] :), and a good summary, this could create an informal pool of
information.

Such an initiative would require at least
- potential readers - would somebody else except me consider this
  useful?
- potential writers, which volunteer to spend a little of /their/ time
  to save more of us /a lot of/ time.

What do you think?

I think it's a good idea and i suggest that we should use the new on openoffice available wiki. Of course we should stasrt when we have migrated to the new MediaWiki.

If it would be a good helper and if we think it's final we should provide the helper with the SDK for external extension developers as well.

-Juergen

Ciao
Frank