Kai Backman wrote:
The work Rene has done with the cross compilation is great, but I
think we need to minimize the number of -required- external
dependencies.

Here is my suggestion for a solution:
- Check unowinreg.dll back into the repository and use it by default
without recompilation on all platforms.
- Include a configure switch that forces recompilation of the DLL. On
win32 this uses the standard compiler, on !win32 mingw32.

This suggestion looks fine with me, I would even agree to a setup where recompilation is on by default on those platforms where it is known to work without additional prerequisites (e.g., wntmsci10). (I too think that cross-compilation where possible is a good thing and I too think it is good that Rene integrated the mechanisms that allow to actually do the cross-compilation, in case that was not clear from my previous mails.)

-Stephan

The rule of thumb we used in art pipelines was that if the target file
required special software or hardware for generation it should be
checked into the repos. Especially if it changed seldom, like the case
seems to be here.

We need to make our build process easier and adding another
application to install or file to download does not further that goal.

Kai