W wrote:

> The XExtendedToolkit supports an XFocusListener which should "keep track
> of the object that currently has the input focus.", but it does not seem
> to track the keyboard input focus (e.g. you do not get focus events when
> changing between two Writer windows).

(...)

> I like your honest opinion and I could not agree more. If I could just
> add a top-level (global :-)) listener which could inform me of the
> active window then I would be more than happy to add a second listener
> to that window.

So something like a notification that notifies listeners each time when
the focus window changes (by sending an event containing a reference to
it) and also sends out notifications if the caret position (or perhaps
also the mouse position) in this window has changed?

> I am only interested in the keyboard focus and textselections. If the
> caret moves (by means of the keyboard, mouse or whatever) I would like
> to be able to retrieve the text in which the caret has now been placed,
> so that I might be able to help the user doing wordprediction and the
> like. That is if the user places the keyboard focus in a Writer document
> I would like to be able to find the document and the position of the caret.
>
> I think I might be able to do some of this using the JAA bridge, but if
> it can be done using the JAA bridge one must be able to do it using only
> the OpenOffice API as well!?

There is an OOo Accessibility API, perhaps it has what you need?

> Am I making any sense?

Sure. :-)
As we are currently reviewing our toolkit related APIs this is a
valuable input for out future plans also.

Best regards,
Mathias

Please reply to the list only, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a spam sink.