Hi Michael,

>       However - reading the win32 spec - it -seems- that the specification
> for this feature is almost totally absent involving the immortal lines:
>
>       "...is kept unchanged to the implementation used in OOo 1.1".
>       There is a screenshot, but no technical detail - particularly of the
> kind that mentions where links are created etc.

Right, the specification is not ... really comprehensive here. Which,
technically, is a bug in the specification document ;)

>       **If** I was a spec enthusiast, and I thought that *any* of this was
> worth fixing, I would point out that the quality of this spec is not so
> good.
>
> * Bugs in the spec.
> * Points:

I agree to most of the items you mentioned, not all. Some are addressed
in the current spec template, some are undoubted bugs in the document.

I don't have an answer to this. I still think the document has its
value. But from certain of you comments, especially the repeated example
of "self stultifying arguments", I suppose you won't accept when I say I
think that we're "learning by doing". In specifications as well as in
coding ;)

> * Why does it matter that it's broken ?
>
>       The rational I hear for the spec. process is basically one of
> oppression by methodology: people cannot be trusted to infer what a
> feature should actually do - therefore it is vital to specify it in
> minute detail. Thus - (it is implied) that by reading the spec. you can
> tell if a problem is a bug in the software (where it doesn't conform) or
> a 'feature' (where it does).
>
>       The problem with this is of course, that clearly the bug could instead
> be in the spec. - it is by no means given that the spec. is perfect.
> Hence even more thought (and worse) work is required to deduce [ from 2
> sources ] whether the spec. is borked, or is it the implementation ? or
> the test ? or the design ? or ...

I cannot but agree here. Reading [EMAIL PROTECTED], you might notice that I
repeatedly argued that specification documents become increasingly
useless over time, if they're not embedded in some system to ensure that
they (means: we have a chance to keep them) up-to-date. A document
management system, in particular, which for instance allows to search
for the spec covering the functionality I am going to change.
However, I fear you won't like this idea, and label it is even more
bureaucracy.

Ciao
Frank

--
- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Database                   http://dba.openoffice.org -