Jim Watson wrote:

A simple method is to set CC="/path/to/gcc -m32" and CXX="/path/to/g+ + -m32" before running configure. Note the quotes ("). This works for me building 32 bit on 64 bit machine for GNU/Linux SPARC (debian/ unstable) like CC="/usr/local/4.1/bin/gcc -m32" and it is easy to switch to a different compiler. The configure step checks the compiler and sets up some related paths.

Your suggestion works fine. In fact it also seems to work to define CFLAGS="-m32" etc. before configure.

My next problem is that setso_env still recognizes my processor as x86_64 type and gives me platform code unxlngx6. That clashes with the solver I downloaded which contains the libs etc. for unxlngi6. I pretended to be a ordinary i586 but then configure sets the platform as unxlngi4. I get the impression the '4' and '6' are for a gcc compiler version < resp. >= 3.4.1
and I have currently installed 3.3.4 so unxlngi4 and still the wrong solver.

I am loath to try and install a newer gcc because I have several times messed up my system by trying to update some bits and not other bits. Now considering to forget about solver and recompile the whole caboodle from source.

Is that likely to work or would I get into other problems because of my 'old' compiler.
Appreciate any views.
Enno