Giulliano Bueno wrote:

> To Whom it may concern,
>

> I have been working as Java programmer since 2003 and I would like to contribute with my work in this project. May join the team?

Yes, you´re welcome of course.

Note: I am also sending this reply to you directly and not only to the mailinglist as you seem to not be subscribed to the list. You might get other replies which have been only sent to the list. Either subscribe to the list or have a look at the archive at http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/SummarizeList?listName=dev to see such other replies.

Usually developers joining new first start by commiting code for bugfixes or small new features via patches to issues in issuezilla ( http://www.openoffice.org/project/qa/issue_handling/pre_submission.html ) OpenOffice.org´s bug and task tracking system and later on they get further involved and get own CVS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concurrent_Versions_System) commit rights themselfs and than would be creating their own so called ChildWorkspaces http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/CWS) for code contributions a mechanism used in many OpenOffice.org subprojects with which new code is being integrated.

Please have a look at the following page to get started with OOo development:

htp://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Page#Getting_started_with_OOo_development

General information about contributing to OpenOffice.org can be found on
http://contributing.openoffice.org/index.html

Please note that you need to sign the Joint Copyright Assignment in order to contribute code. For information about signing the JCA have a look at http://contributing.openoffice.org/programming.html#jca

Source Code of OpenOffice.org is mainly C++ source code but there´s also some java code being used, eg. the Base module relies on java and there is also a java lanuage binding for the OpenOffice.org API. The page http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Java_and_OpenOffice.org explains for which features of OOo java is being used.

One java related subproject where I am also involved a bit currently is the odf4j library which is being created in the odftoolkit subproject
See http://odftoolkit.openoffice.org and corresponding mailing list.
The aim of odf4j is to create a java library for creating and manipulating OpenDocument files ( the fileformat OpenOffice.org uses ) from java applications without the need to install an complete OpenOffice.org installation. Maybe this could be something you would like to help with. odf4j and the odftoolkit project are just in it´s very beginning and currently do not yet use the ChildWorkspace mechanism to integrate new source code which is used by other subprojects and thus this project might be a bit easier for a new OOo java developer to start with. If you would like to join this sub-project subscribe to it´s mailing list.

For instructions on how to get source code and on how to build OpenOffice.org have a look at pages linked from
http://tools.openoffice.org

Another possibility to contribute is to create extensions for OpenOffice.org for which related utilities like the Netbeans or Eclipse OOo-Development plugins can be used.

Have a look at
http://extensions.openoffice.org/
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions_development
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/

Note that the OpenOffice.org website may currently be a little bit slow or even unresponsive caused by heavy traffic due to the new version just released.

There is also an IRC chat channel #dev.openoffice.org on the IRC server irc.freenode.net where OpenOffice.org developers meet and discuss things online.

> Thanks,
>

> Giulliano Bueno.

Kind regards,
Bernd Eilers