Thorsten Behrens wrote:
On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:52:22PM -0500, Zongyun Lai wrote:
However, when I want to launch the application, I do the following operations, and it crashes,
$ . LinuxX86Env.Set.sh
$ cd solver/680/unxlngi6.pro/bin/
$ ./soffice.bin -impress
(.. a quick splash screen, then crash, can't even see what it is...)
$ echo $?
78

As you found out, OOo needs to be installed for proper operation -
you can kind of make the build do that for you, by setting
PKGFORMAT=installed. Then,
instsetoo_native/<yourplatform>/OpenOffice/installed/... will
contain a ready-made OOo installation.

Even easier is using ooo-build
(http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Ooo-build), that's a build
system & set of patches around OOo, that basically makes building a
./configure
./download  (to grab build prerequisites)
make
ooinstall -l <target_dir>

Thanks Thorsten, I will have a try of Ooo-build. Do you recommend Ooo-build or vanilla ones? By the way, since I only want to hack some new features for Impress, is there any way I can check out and compile codes only for Impress? I knew the concept of 'solver' from http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/solver.html, which seems just what I want. But the article is about 7 years old, and I couldn't find more useful information now. Do you have any suggestion for my situation? Is there any smart way to avoid downloading all the source tree? Thanks a lot.

So, could anyone give me some hints for this weird situation? Why can't I just launch applications in solver/680/unxlngi6.pro/bin/ directdory? I have googled the problem, some article suggest setting OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=none, but it is of no use. So, if I have to install those packages after each modifications, it is very inconvenient for testing and debugging.

True. Usually people manually copy libraries from solver to installation to avoid this situation - ooo-build's ooinstall conveniently integrates a script that symlinks solver & installation, so that's taken care of
there (vanilla OOo's version of that script is currently broken).

HTH,

-- Thorsten