(Those who missed a few mail: I did try on purpose to compile OOo 3.0 M28 on OpenSolaris 2008.05 although its not a supported/recommended development platform )

At the end of the OpenSolaris 2008.05 adventure tour is JDK 1.5.

OpenOffice requires JDK 1.5. OpenSolaris 2008.05 comes with JDK 1.6. I tried compiling OpenOffice 3.0 M28 against JDK 1.6 . I was not too successfull. But hey, OOo does not promise to compile with JDK 1.6 - no deal!

OpenSolaris 2008.05 does not offer JDK 1.5 packages. You may try to install a JDK using a download package from java.sun.com. However, the Solaris packages of JDK 1.5 are build against Motif 2.1. And there is no Motif package for OpenSolaris 2008.05. As far as I understood it, the lawyers are working to make the two worlds compatible :(.

What about building JDK 1.5 yourself? Its not a very promising approach. "Motif version 2.1 headers and libraries are required for building the JDK.", http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/scsl/build-solaris.html .

What about using a Solaris 10 package? Well, maybe that's technically possible but its a bit dirty, isn't it? Who knows what consequences this will have - don't know, I'm not an expert in that domain. I won't follow up this road.

If you want to develop OpenOffice on *Solaris, you might want to have a look at Solaris Express Community Edition (SXCE). SXCE Build 95 is said to have the Motif headers. Alternatively, you might want to check out Solaris 10 - I did that only briefly and gave up on cups.h (try --without-cups?).

If the JDK 1.5 problem gets solved on OpenSolaris or OpenOffice moves forward to JDK 1.6, there seem to be only smaller hassles.

1) libXaw (OpenSolaris issues at the time of writing)

libXaw should be part of the FSWxorg-headers package. But FSWxorg-headers currently conflicts with SUNWxorg-headers. At the time of writing the FSWxorg-headers package is empty, you need to build libXaw manually.

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/lib/libXaw-1.0.4.tar.bz2
CC=cc ./configure --prefix=/usr/X11

2) SunStudio 5.10 unsupported (OpenOffice configure)

Patch the OpenOffice configure file. It lacks a test for any Sun compiler >5.9 - at least in M28.

3) ANT libraries not found (OpenOffice configure)

This may come up although you have the package SUNWant installed. SUNWant has the ant script in usr/bin/ant and the libraries in usr/share/lib/ant/ . usr/share/lib/ant/ is not part of the default search path in the configure script.

4) Use SunStudio and GNU make

Do yourself a favour and use SunStudio compilers on OpenSolaris when trying to build OpenOffice. OpenOffice will not accept the gcc from the SUNWgcc package anyway.

Make sure you have GNU make in your PATH before the Sun counterpart. Not only dmake clean but also several Makefiles make use of GNU make specific options.

Once you have got so far the build should start until it reaches a JDK library which depends on Motif.

Good luck...
Ulf