Hi Heiner,

> Well, this +1 or -1 one in s a kind of vote and you normally don't have
> to explain your votes. Note that I didn't say "We will not do this, I'm
> the maintainer of this stuff, basta!" :-) Just a vote.

Ah, okay ;)

> These are roughly 50 platforms times 191 top level dirs, about 9550
> entries to maintain. That I call clumsy. Since most of the platforms are
> only interesting to a few people I feel that having this in the so
> called global ignore list might not be unreasonable.

(Didn't know we have that much platforms ...)

Well, every time we switch to a new compiler on a new platform (which
happened quite some times in the younger past), every developer working
on the respective platform has to adjust the global ignore list in his
Unix Home, and in $(APPDATA)\Subversion on each and every Windows
machine he's regularly using.

Multiplying all those developers with all those profiles probably does
not sum up to 50*191, but in opposite to maintaining the SVN property
(which can be done by simple scripts), maintaining the config files is
manual work.

So, I still think putting the stuff into SVN is better ... (Hey, what
did we do the migration for if we don't use all the cool new SVN features?)
... at least for the *most common* platforms - what the *#+%&$# is
"unxhpxr"? And how many people will ever encounter it in real life,
compared with unxlngi6, unxmacxi, and wntmsci12?

> As for "I can't use the platform names in the ignore list readily": Well
> this is a good(TM) thing. You should not use this names, they are
> reserved for the build process.

Well, yes, sure.

Except that the ignore list you suggested in the Wiki also excludes
files like "common_data.txt" ...

Also, the reservation of those names only is true for the module root
folders (i.e. the location where the "prj" sub folder resides), not for
other locations.
At least this would be my understanding, though you could say that the
names are (by definition) reserved globally, and I'd easily accept that.

> If you insist on using them, well there
> is always the "--no-ignore" switch to svn add, or you just explicitly
> add a path with this name. Once a path is under version control the
> ignore list has no effects anyway.

I know (I meanwhile read the FM :) - I intentionally wrote "makes it
difficult", not "makes it impossible".

Ciao
Frank

--
- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -