Jürgen,

thanks for pointing this out. The problem is caused by SVN fooling up on
resurrected items. I found this in the change log for SVN 1.5.5

  * fixed: broken merge if target's history includes resurrections
(r34385, -93)

Heiner

PS: svn 1.5.5 fixes a number of svn:mergeinfo related problems. RE is
currently contemplating an client/server upgrade, 1.5.5 will probably
not be mandatory though. Alternative would be to wait for 1.6.x which
seems to have a warning mechanism for the infamous tree conflicts (aka I
lost my changes after moving a file)

Heiner