Hi All,

While discussing with Mathias a mysterious non-reproducible problem, we came again to conclusion that OOo error handling is not the best one from the developer point of view. It is quite hard to understand what exactly goes wrong sometimes.

This is of course nothing new, the discussions regarding better error-handling design can be seen regularly. But in our case, even an information, which exactly exception has caused the problem ( in our scenario there is a high probability that an exception takes place ) would be helpful.

The first idea was to provide information similar to the assertions. Each extension could use the macros wrapping the existing text and adding the file name and line number. Since usually the text is based on the constant string literal, the generation of the string would not affect the performance.

In case of exceptions that have no arguments ( and we have many of such cases ), we could use a default macro for each type of extension, that would not take so much time I think. That could be actually done by a relative simple script.

In result the InteractionHandler could get the requests containing additional information. This information could be shown in a kind of "details..." subwindow of the error message. There were already suggestions from UX to extend the error messages with such a "details" window. The framework and applications also would have a chance to provide this additional information in this way.

In general it looks from the first view to be realistic even for OOo3.2. From other side it is only a very quick first view, so any suggestions, corrections and etc are very welcome.

Best regards,
Mikhail.