On 02/26/09 14:01, Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany wrote:
While it is helpful to you as a developer when somebody gives you a
screeshot reading "Access denied. foobar.cxx, line 134", it is certainly
not at all helpful for the average end user who does not intend to send
you the screen shot, but is happy with the "Access denied" message
already. Moreover, it is not only "not helpful", it will definitely
(IMO) alienate the average end user.

Even if there happen to be exception instances where the exception message is designed to be meaningfully presented to an end user (do you indeed use localized exception messages?) this is not true for the majority of exception instances (where the exception message is something that can help a knowing person track down the problem, but not something that is meaningful for the average end user---for example, it is always in English). For the latter, I see no problem with augmenting the exception message with file and line information (other than the ugliness inherent in C/C++ macros). For the former, you should simply exempt those instances from Mikhail's wholesale macrofication, I would say.

-Stephan