Hi,

Rich wrote:
I immensily enjoy the MediaWiki export function, but in order to make
it the perfect WYSIWIG MediaWiki editor, it would also need a
MediaWiki *import* function. Is anything like that currently planned ?

If I tried to realize such a function that converts MediaWiki's format
into OpenOffice.org format, there were some ideas:

 Idea 1: Implement it in the MediaWiki as its extension.
 Idea 2: Realize it as an offline tool.
 Idea 3: Incorporate it in the OpenOffice.org as an import filter
         or in a copy-and-paste function of OpenOffice.org.

IMHO, idea 1 would be the easiest, reliable, robust way. With an extension
of the MediaWiki, a link labeled "download this page as an OpenOffice.org
file" might be one of the possible user interface implementations.

The reason is that MediaWiki itself knows how to interpret MediaWiki
format and how to produce its corresponding HTML format. So, what we
might need to work to realize it would be just to write a code producing
ODF format instead of HTML format.

If we had implemented it in our OpenOffice.org, we would forever have
to follow up MediaWiki's versions. Its history shows that its format
has been being revised version by version and consequently it is easy
to infer that its format would be continuously revised in the future.

So, it is a MidiaWiki extension exporting its Wiki page into ODF format.
I don't know if it is already available or not. :->

Regards,
Tora