T. J. Frazier wrote:

> Do you think it might be useful, to consider a two-step conversion
> process, using XML as the intermediate step? That is, instead of "ODF
> <==> Wiki", we could have "ODF <==> XML", and "Wiki <==> XML".

ODF *is* XML. :-)
Alternatively XHTML would be a good intermediate format.

> The advantage I see is the division of labor.  Both groups (MW and OO.o)
> would likely see those transformations as, "not very efficient, but
> relatively simple". Neither group would have to deal with each other's
> oddities, only their own.

In general that would be a nice idea, but it would be useful and worth
the effort only if not only MediaWiki but also other Wiki projects could
be convinced to get involved.

An important question is if the transformations wiki<->XML/ODF are
considered as "one way" steps or if a continuous roundtrip is expected.
Roundtrip with any format, not even HTML, is not a "native feature" of
the current wiki formats and it's possible that there would be some
implementation effort in the wiki projects to make that work. So the
wiki projects will ask themselves which incentive they have to use OOo
as an editor for their wikis.

Ciao,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "nospamfor...@gmx.de".