Hi Bernhard,

mmh, i would suggest that you look a little bit around and that you start to build OpenOffice on your own to come in touch with the code. The follwoing link might be useful when you are working under windows http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Building_OOo_with_Cygwin_on_Windows
or more general http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Building

Think about the application you are most interested in. If it is the spreadsheet application join the d...@sc.openoffice.org, if it's the writer d...@sw.openoffice.org. And join the project and get a member. You need an account anyway for the issue tracker.

On the Spreadsheet project page you can find for example a query "Spreadsheet issues with keyword easy2dev". Two other queries might be also of interest for you.

Talk with the developers of the project to find the right working area for you (via mailing list or IRC). In the end you can simply pick up an issue and work on it. Normally you will submit a patch for an issue first until you are better known in the community. But i am sure that it will be no problem to assign the issue that you will fix explicitly to you.

Welcome on board

Juergen

Bernhard Barker wrote:
Hi everyone

I'm a university student and have an assignment in which
I need to fix an bug for an Open Source project.

This might be a stupid question, but, if I find an issue I am
interested in fixing from the issue list, how do I get assigned
to that issue?

Bernhard Barker
bernhardbar...@gmail.com