Hi René, hi Michael,

just managed to re-install the Ubuntu version of OOo.

Out of the box the reported error occurs.

Then, following Michael's advice and adding  "/usr/lib/ure/lib/" to
CLASSPATH resolved the problem and OOo can be addressed via Java from
the commandline  !

So there is at least a problem in the Ubuntu distribution with the setup
somewhere.

Regards,

---rony