O.K., I uninstalled everything on this weekend that smelled like Java,
however the behaviour of the Ubuntu-installed OOo did not change, i.e.
OOo could not get started, the error message is just:

    Running soffice from the command line gives the following output on the
commandline:

        javaldx failed!

Did not uninstall the Ubuntu OOo (and reinstall the genuine one) for the
time being, such that I would be able to test whatever people think may
help clarify the problem. (OTOH, it may be the case that something went
wrong installing the Java distributions and although uninstalling all
Java may have left over some settings that are causing this phenomenon.)

---rony