Dear Stephan and Thomas,

thank you for your pointers!

On 11.04.2011 09:54, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 04/09/11 11:27, Rony G. Flatscher wrote:
>> for an installation routine it is necessary to determine whether the
>> installed version of OOo is 32- or 64-bit, as this determines which
>> libraries and configuration should be installed.
>>
>> Is there a way to find that out (currently on Linux, but once MacOSX
>> and/or Windows gain 64-bit versions then the request would be for all
>> platforms)? If so, what would be the correct means?
>
> Using the "file" command on .../program/soffice.bin (Linux) or
> .../program/soffice (Mac OS X) should mention either "32" or "64"
> somewhere in its output (which is not specified, so this is with a
> little luck---also note that at least Mac OS X could also have
> universal binaries where "file" would mention both "32" and "64").

What I would be after would be to get this information at installation
time without any user-interaction (most won't know what would be asked)
in a platform independent manner.

Something equivalent to a hyptohetic "uninfo bitness" returning either
"32", "64" or "32 64" (if a universal binary).

Regards

---rony

P.S.: "file" is usually not installed on Windows, nor the sysinternal
utilities like ProcessExplorer.