I strongly suggest that you read the postgresql text search[1] chapter
in depth. You will find that a lot of textual and multilingual
confusions can be solved with that function set. the name "text search"
is by far too simple for what it covers...

Regards,

Milo

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/textsearch.html