OpenLayers has nice support for vectors. It supports many formats, you can easily add WKT geometries for example. This is the best way to go if you want to add simple or dynamic overlays. The postcode finder you mentioned uses a tiled layer. Such a layer can be rendered using Mapnik. I have a nice example in [1]: Google Hybrid like, but with OSM data on top of their aerial images (unfortunately my site is Dutch, but it shows the idea).

Cheers,
Steven

[1] http://squall.student.utwente.nl/betonning/waterkaart.html?zoom=14&lat=53.17767&lon=5.41759&layers=0B0FT

Peter Körner schreef: