I found a workaround for the below problem that is OK for me now (for testing
and
programming purposes), and write it down in case it will be useful for someone
else.
Anyone having a good idea for the original problem is still welcome.

I did further experiments with osmosis. This time I used a quite small portion
(~1MB in
OSM format) of the world map which I downloaded and exported using JOSM, and
that also
failed to import, with the same exception.

After that I realized, that the previous import has already uploaded some
nodes/ways, so
I had to empty the database and start again. In the end, the only thing that
worked for
me to drop all databases from pgsql, run 'rake db:migrate' again, and then
import the
file again.
This time osmosis ran without error.

If anyone has a simpler way to clean up databases, or to import files with
duplicate
nodes (even if that means tossing out some nodes), I am very eager to hear it.

Thanks,
        PP

Ps.: I created a nasty way to check for duplicate node ids in OSM files:
        bzgrep 'node id='file.osm.bz2 | cut -d '"' -f2 |sort |uniq -d
Of course, this presumes that the XML is laid out "nicely", but this is the
case for OSM
files on the server. The funny thing is that I found no duplicates in the
hungary.osm.bz2 at all...