Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:
Steve Hosgood wrote:
Sent: 19 October 2009 9:39 AM
To: dev@openstreetmap.org
Cc: 'josm-dev'
Subject: Re: [OSM-dev] Out of copyright WMS offering - looking for
assistance

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:
Oh, and I forgot the most important issue. The plug-in is looking for
png's
when the ooc map tiles are all jpgs.

Cheers

Andy

Must they be .jpgs? You'll get a lot of "sharp edge" artefacts using the
.jpg format on a map. In theory at least (and in practice whenever I've
done it) .png will give better results on material such as that.

Bear in mind these are printed maps, not rasterised vector maps. We tried
with png but you can get much lower file size without loosing too much
definition with the jpg's.

That's OK then. You've done the tests, you've got your results.

Now, if someone wants to spend the time proving me wrong they are welcome to
a an original scan to try it.

:-)

No - you've done the tests and in this case evidently .jpg wins. I'm surprised, but I've seen that happen before. I suppose it depends on just how sharp the "sharp edges" were on your images.

Steve.