On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Lars Lingner <m...@lingner.eu> wrote:
> Ian Monroe schrieb:
>> I'm going to talk tomorrow with the director of WiderNet, which has an
>> eGranary Digital Library project that mirrors websites on to hard
>> disks and sends them to schools and hospitals in the developing world
>> (mainly Africa) which have slow or no Internet. So currently the
>> eGranary is 2 terabytes containing Wikipedia, opencourseware, books
>> etc. My thought was that OpenStreetMap would be a great addition to
>> it. And OSM really has more to offer Africa then anywhere else due to
>> lack of commercial maps on the web.
>>
>> I volunteered to perhaps implement this because I have the technical
>> skills in general to be able to set it up, but not because I know much
>> about OSM technology in particular. :) I'm finding the resources on
>> rendering a bit hard to get into.
>>
>> Right now the important question is the feasibility. How big is a
>> fully rendered OpenStreetMap? Or would it make more sense to render
>> on-the-fly?
>>

> For offline usage of OSM I created an live cd environment. It uses
> extracts from the planet file and covers only some parts for Europe for
> now.
>
> It uses PostgreSQL, MapServer to query and render the data and MapFish
> as client to interact with the map.

Since MapFish is a web application I'm guessing its no trouble

> Depending on the bounding box I could create a cd image for africa. You
> don't need the whole planet on a disc, don't you? That wouldn't be possible.

Not on a CD, but on a hard drive certainly. If you can fit all of
Italy on a CD, then fitting the world into ~100GB must be no problem.

> You can grab a copy from http://www.lingner.eu/discosm/download/
>
> Its a prototype to prove that you can have a live OSM rendering on a
> disc. First thing you (and others) might struggle with: It is build only
> for x86_64 architecture. As a minimum of RAM you'll need 1 GB. With more
> than that, you can load everything into RAM and then its pretty fast.
>
> If it fits your needs or at least some of them, let me know. In the last
> weeks I had no time for new features but the OSM data is from around
> 20th January 2010

Thanks, I'm downloading the Italian disc now. Having the whole system
already set up will make the whole task much easier to understand.
Perhaps we can collaborate some. I'm not really sure on how I'm going
to end up implementing it, but a Linux virtual appliance would be a
logical way to do it.

> Putting the tiles on CD/DVD could be more complicated as you will need a
> lot of those discs (sorry no current number available) depending on the
> extent you need to cover.
> I'm sure other users have some more ideas so you can compare different
> solutions.

I have no particular need to save all the tiles if rendering on the
fly works fine.

Ian