On Feb 21, 2010, at 1:15 AM, Kai Krueger wrote:
>> the extra step of clicking where the problem is should not happen, we should
>> get that from the bbox or center point plus zoom. So with some changes I
>> think we can integrate OSB and expose it front and center to help fix up the
>> bugs.
>
> Are you suggesting that it is a bad idea to specify a location of a map bug?
> Ok, so I will zoom into central london and tell you "there is a turn
> restriction missing". How is anyone supposed to help fix this without the
> detailed location information? Even google with their "report a problem" link
> lets you place a marker to highlight where the problem actually is. And
> perhaps the UI of the bug reporting should say at the top something like
> "Hey, you can report a map problem here, no problem, but even better would be
> if you click on the edit button and actually fix it your self. But if you
> feel uncomfortable to do that, just report it here and perhaps eventually
> someone else like you might come and fix it"

I like the latter, reporting the *exact* location as a extra feature. I think
you'll get more bugs if you allow people to type descriptively the location
rather than force a click on the location. It seems simple to all of us, but it
isn't to the vast majority of people.

>> I'll add two more things
>>
>> 1) Using "google insight" (bing for it) and many other tools it's very very
>> clear that the german community is by far and away huge. That's wonderful,
>> but we don't have Germans all over Europe and the US - we need these tools
>> out here Frederik to help us fix the map.
>>
>> 2) We have to be very clear that the openstreetmap.org website is
>> _awful_.Horrendous. A total PITA.
>
> Actually, I am not that clear on why it is all that _awful_. I kind of like
> the design (of the main page). Yes, it has its issues and there are a few
> things I would like to see to improve the usability, that are better in your
> design. (The more prominent search bar, now that we  have the technical
> capabilities to support larger use of search and the inclusion of some
> Quality Assurance tools) But most of those could be added incrementally too.

It's the number one complaint I hear when I fly all over the world talking to
people about OSM. Bad design, hard to learn editor tools (just go and look at
Google/Waze stuff for comparison) and then the dreaded "when will you guys get
your act together and change license"...

>> We're all here because we're persistent with it. But the wonderful thing is
>> - we don't have to make the tools and site easy to use if we can expose a
>> simple bug system.
>
> Yes, a simple bug system can help. In particular in those regions that are
> already "complete", are in "maintanace mode" and have sufficient established
> mappers that are actually looking for things to do. But in all other cases,
> which unfortunately at the moment are probably still the majority, just
> reporting problems won't actually get them fixed.
>
>> It's very clear that nobody can convince Richard to actually write something
>> any muggle would really want to use, you can scream at him to finish the
>> mythical Potlatch 2 all you want, but he doesn't give a shit and lives on a
>> boat in bliss.
>
> I don't think this comment is fair, as Richard is doing a wonderful job,
> especially as a "one man volunteer". But I will leave it at that.

I'm sorry I disagree. I think it's great Richard volunteers of course, and puts
all the effort in, but it has to be said that that effort would be 100x more
useful in finishing potlatch 2 than more time on potlatch 1.

> I think what we are (partly) missing out on here is people technically
> capable on actually implementing any of those suggestions and also some
> people who are technically skilled enough to realize what is feasible for
> volunteers to achieve and what not and are willing to work closely with the
> implementers to get the UI user friendly. People just throwing ideas over the
> wall, can occasionally be useful, but I don't think that is our main problem.
> Although the general attitude of Open source programmers of "Oh the code is
> that way, so go and fix it your self" is not always helpful either.

That's exactly it - and why I made that point on the OGD post. Some projects
have a 'design dictator' because nobody can ever agree web design issues.
That's a bit harsh but it's one way to do it.

Yours &c.

Steve