On 07/03/2010 01:09 PM, Nolan Darilek wrote:
On 07/02/2010 01:52 PM, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
Similarly, Ian Dees and I have written a server using MongoDB, which
also provides functionality such as auto-sharding and built in
map/reduce.

Is this work available anywhere? How did you find performance to be, and to what uses did you put it?

I've done some experiments creating a LibOSM MongoDB backend and found its performance fairly bad, but I don't have the most optimal server for it, and probably didn't use MongoDB to its limits. If you experienced good performance for real-time operations then I'd be very interested in seeing how you managed it so I might adopt the techniques and see if I have any better luck.

It seemed to me that a dump of the entire planet would require a substantial server to serve up, so I abandoned the work, but would very much like to revive it if it's at all workable.