On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Nolan Darilek <no...@thewordnerd.info>wrote:

> On 07/03/2010 01:09 PM, Nolan Darilek wrote:
>
>> On 07/02/2010 01:52 PM, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
>>
>>> Similarly, Ian Dees and I have written a server using MongoDB, which
>>> also provides functionality such as auto-sharding and built in
>>> map/reduce.
>>>

>> Is this work available anywhere? How did you find performance to be, and
>> to what uses did you put it?
>>
>> I've done some experiments creating a LibOSM MongoDB backend and found its
>> performance fairly bad, but I don't have the most optimal server for it, and
>> probably didn't use MongoDB to its limits. If you experienced good
>> performance for real-time operations then I'd be very interested in seeing
>> how you managed it so I might adopt the techniques and see if I have any
>> better luck.
>>
>> It seemed to me that a dump of the entire planet would require a
>> substantial server to serve up, so I abandoned the work, but would very much
>> like to revive it if it's at all workable.

The code is here: http://github.com/iandees/mongosm

<http://github.com/iandees/mongosm>It took several days to import a planet
file. The majority of the CPU time was spent serializing/deserializing BSON
in Python and the Mongo server had very little CPU time so if I use a
language with a faster BSON implementation it might be faster.

Serge was working on a way to import diff files to maintain mintutely
updates.

I was working on an HTTP API interface.