On Jul 21, 2010, at 10:48 AM, Tom Hughes wrote:

> On 21/07/10 09:26, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>
>> I started this because there seems no direct way to retrieve the full
>> history for a particular area. What I am worried about is that this is an
>> abuse of the API, so please advise if this is the case.
>
> Well it's certainly going to be rather expensive, so if people use it more
> than occasionally or start scripting it to scrape larger area then we are
> clearly going to have a problem.
>
> Generating extracts from the full history dump would be preferable - not sure
> what the status of getting that setup is though.
>
> Tom

For that reason I restricted the bbox size to a maximum of 5km. Of course
someone could remove this limitation in the code quite easily.
I realize that in urban / dense areas even 5km would mean a lot of requests so
I want to build in a check once the initial map API request returns (maximum of
a few thousand features or something).

The use case for this program for me is being able to retrieve the history for
a number of small areas easily, for analysis purposes related to my Crowd
Quality research I talked about at SOTM.

At SOTM I talked to Lars Francke about his history dump script that was run
once or twice a few months ago. He said it would definitely be feasible to
implement an extent parameter but that would require some significant rewriting
effort. I am willing to look into this but it's in Java which is not my weapon
of choice.. I would love to have a full history for a few larger areas at some
point so it would make sense for me to implement this.

Martijn van Exel +++ m...@rtijn.org
Laziness – Impatience – Hubris

http://schaaltreinen.nl
twitter: mvexel