Thanks, Peter, for the explanations.

I still have some some problems of understanding the Multilingual Maps
Overlays" project goal/idea and implementation:

1. What is the goal of this project/idea? Is it to simply display
alternative name Tags based on language's ISO 639 code?
At least the wiki page is not of much help explaining this:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names

2. What about names in the local dialect (very important to me)? I'm
thinkin about 'Barça' for Barcelona, Spain, or 'Züri' which is Swiss
German for Zurich, Switzerland). How to tag those? => Something like
'ch' plus a subdomain?

3. Testing: Can you give me any URL as a demonstration and test case
you are using yourself to test the online map at
http://toolserver.org/~osm/locale/ ?

4. Regarding implementation and the layer parameter:

* I would restrict the layers (i.e. the language codes) to be
displayed at once, say three. So the parameter remains short.

* Instead of trying rendering (and preloading) each of the 275
languages as an own, self-contained half-transparent Mapnik tiles, how
about taking the basemap as well as a Web Map Server (like mapserver
or GeoServer) which delivers names as labels dynamically as GeoJSON.

* How to generate, display and control layers for local dialect names
(Barça, Züri)?

Yours, S.