Am 20.06.2010 18:48, Peter Körner:

> Am 19.06.2010 16:22, schrieb Claudius:
>>> There is nor technical probelm here. If we had a fallback chain like:
>>>
>>> de: de,en,fr
>>> ru: ru,cz
>>
>> I'm still wondering if this approach isn't too easy. Aren't there some
>> areas where I would prefer not to show the english name but the regional
>> one for the german view? e.g. in the Netherlands or some spanish
>> regions... it's probably best to just try it out
> Yes there always combinations where a visitos can read german and
> spanish and want's to see germany in german and the rest of the world in
> spanish, but this is not our goal.
>
> The main goal is to get the maps into the wikipedias, and in a german
> wikipedia i'd expect german names where possible and local names
> otherwise, so "name:de" with a fallback to "name".

Now I recall where I see the problem with a fallback rule like

de: name:de, name:en, name:fr, name

If you look at Germany in the OSM db most of the placenames just have
the german name in the name-tag but don't reproduce the redundant
information in name:de. If you would take this example node:

place=city
name=München
name:en=Munich

the above rule would lead to the english name being shown on the german
name overlay. So the fallback needs to be location aware and should
probably not trigger in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Claudius