On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Anthony wrote:

Yeah, but your lead basically shows we are talking about more than 10%...

Yeah, probably, but at the expense of more complicated code, greater
memory usage, etc.

The hole process is IO-bound... memory is used anyway to overcome the IO issues...

I'm interested now in seeing how the full history compression goes,
though.  If it can achieve 70, 80, 90% on top of zlib, then it might
be worth embedding the compression as opposed to just using it for
transfer over the Internet.

The dictionary is compressed per block, so it greatly depends if the trick works.

Stefan