I would love to monitor such discussion and contribute if I think I have something to offer. Will such discussion be here on the [OSM-dev} or elsewhere?

I currently use the freely available CoralCDN (http://www.coralcdn.org/) to distribute updates to my APRSISCE/32 APRS client software (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/), but have mixed results (like only about 50% success, but every cached delivery saves my original bandwidth). Thankfully I built in a direct backup link that picks up the slack from the failures.

Theoretically the CoralCDN could be used for distributing OSM tiles by simply suffixing the domain with ".nyud.net", but I have not tried this yet. There would be little to no intelligence brought to bear on how long individual tiles would be cached vs flushed and/or whether mixed-revision tiles would be present in and delivered from the cache, not to mention that I don't think the CoralCDN passes through the original User-Agent either.