Am 07.03.12 07:58, schrieb Tomas Straupis:

   The part of creating separate layers (say with mapnik) and
presenting them (say with openlayers) is clear. Uncertain part (for
me) is just the database part because I only have a general
understanding of what would be required (I guess database and
"something" which gives API to access that database from JOSM/Mapnik
etc.).

Another question is how they keep their basic database in sync with ours?
If someone in OSM moves a node because he was there with his GPS unit, or a new street/house/something is build, the two databases get out-of-sync. So someone has to overlook every change in OSM, and decide if it was a beginners error or not.

A lot of our POIs are placed in our database according to our street ways. If we throw away our streets and import theirs, the POIs are misplaced.

I am sure the governmental GIS has more place-accurate data, but probably out-of-date at some places.

   Therefore my question is: where can I get more information about
creating "own" database/api and setting up all infrastructure around
it (f.e. authorisation, editors etc.). Or if there is any other
approach of achieving this goal of "GIS layers"?

I think
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/The_Rails_Port
is what you are looking for.

Apart form that, Mapnik can render data from different databases, and shapefiles and other sources:
    shape : ESRI shapefile
    postgis : Postgis table or query
    raster : Tiled or stripped TIFF
    gdal : GDAL supported raster dataset
    ogr : OGR supported vector datasource
    osm : Open Street Map

Or they can use the UMN Mapserver to combine Data from several sources.

Greetings
Andre Joost