On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Janani Nayanathara <
jananinayanath...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
> I am Janani Nayanathara from Uva Wellassa University, Sri Lanka.
> I am interested in " Improve / Create Simple Android OSM editor" project
> because I am interested in dealing with maps. I want to know what are the
> subject areas I should refer before applying in order to be familiar with
> OpenStreetMap.

Hello Jananai!

I'm glad you're interested in applying for a GSoC. Before thinking about
working on an Android OSM editor I recommend you create an OSM account,
open up an editor and add some data in your local area. Once you're
comfortable adding data, I recommend you explore using the development API
to retrieve and modify OSM data with command line tools like "curl" and
"wget".

Once you have that experience it'll be easier to understand what's involved
in writing an Android OSM editor.

-Ian