Hi,
Thank you for your interest in one of the OSM projects.

I think the only way you will be able to complete the project within GSoC
timescales is by using other libraries and integrating them into something
useable, so yes, I think your proposal should explain which libraries you
propose to use to achieve your project targets.

The little 'test' we added to the application is just to show a general
understanding of how OSM works.  I appreciate that it is not directly
relevant to your proposal, but I think it is a good thing to do anyway, we
would also like to see that you have made some improvements to the map by
editing your local area to contribute to the project that way too.

Regards

Graham.

On 29 March 2012 20:37, Евгений <theos...@yandex.ru> wrote:

> Hello, OSM developers.
>
> My name is Eugene, I'm on my fifth year of information technologies at the
> National Research University of Information Technologies, Mechanics and
> Optics of St. Petersburg, Russia. I would like to participate in GSoC 2012
> and I'm interested in your project proposal of video based speed limit
> detector. But I have some questions about this project and its requirements:
> 1) I have several ideas about how to implement this project. The first
> thing that came to my mind is neural network. But this solution requires a
> large training set of images. Another way is to use OpenCV, which combines
> great number of various computer vision algorithms. Last thing I think
> about is libraries like this http://code.google.com/p/signfinder/, which
> developed for similar tasks. Is it permitted to use third-party libraries
> in this project?
> 2) In the application template there is a requirement to "provide a short
> example of an OSM XML document that represents a polygon way". This task is
> not related to the technologies used in the project of computer vision
> based speed limit detector. Whether it necessary to provide OSM XML anyway?
> And if not, do I need to provide any other test task to prove my knowledge?

Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK.