Thanks for the answers so far.

The standard map size will be 600 x 400, so given that open layers might
request tiles around the visible map area, I had thought that I would be
getting at least 16 tile requests per map view.  Of course
this doesn't take into account people panning around.  Our current Google
map usage is about 200,000 a day, but we can't tell from the data we have
how many are panning around the maps, as Google only count the registering
of the API as a hit, not how many tiles are served to the client.

Our load profile is heavily weighted to the evening rather than spread-out
evenly throughout the day, so we could hit a spike of ~1,000 requests a
second, which the yevaud spec seems to handle ably.

John