On 03/12/14 16:14, Andy Allan wrote:

However, spam is an arms race, and I think we might need a different
long-term approach. I know in the past using 3rd-party spam filtering
services was too expensive (and not really very OSM-ish either).

The main such system is akmiset and I'd love to use it but (a) it costs money and (b) to make it most effective we would have to send it things like email addresses and IP addresses which I figure people may object to.

Perhaps we need a new set of human content moderators on the site, say
40-80 people with a variety of languages between them. We can consider
grey-listing all accounts - i.e. the first few posts of every account
is held for review automatically by default, and enable direct posting
after we're more certain they aren't a spammer.

Once we have a review queue and moderator system then obviously it becomes trivial to do things like holding posts from new users for moderation - we need the basic infrastructure first though.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/