Many people have asked about downloading low-zoom tiles of OpenStreetMap Carto. I’ve completed my project to script automatic downloading, importing, and pre-rendering of an OpenStreetMap Carto database to make it available for others, and have put the results on one of my servers at http://legolas.paulnorman.ca/prerender/

The tar files contain zoom 0 to zoom 6, 8, 9 or 10, depending on the file name.

These are most useful for someone who wants to render the world but doesn’t need high zooms and doesn’t want to set up a database server. Because the tiles are just tiles in a directory structure there’s no need for anything except a web server to serve them.

Are these useful for you? Let me know, and I’ll provide them on an ongoing basis. These particular files contain OSM data from December 17th rendered with OpenStreetMap Carto v4.18.0