Hi Wolfgang,

concerning Java integration, you can also have a look at osm4j[1]. It's
a library I maintain for processing OSM data in Java. Here's a
tutorial[2]. You can use it to retrieve and process data from various
sources and file formats, including Overpass API, which might be the
most useful thing for retrieving data for you. If you want to create the
Overpass queries using Java as well you might want to integrate it with
overpasser[3].

Best,
Sebastian

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osm4j