Tom, I would highly recommend running inside a Docker container if you
can.  The performance impact is negligible, but you will have no issue with
whatever technology / packaging / base OS you decide to use, plus migration
and scaling up becomes substantially easier, e.g. if you move to a
multi-server setup with Kubernetes.

For example, you could use a https://github.com/nyurik/tileserver-gl-pack --
tileserver-gl package with a number of styles - you simply add a tile
source to it (e.g. a big .mbtiles file)