On 25/08/2020 19:52, Mateusz Konieczny via dev wrote:
Yes, I always used normal text editor.

Same here.  There are projects such as https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TileMill which were / are designed to automate map reloading after changes, but when I last used TileMill (a long time ago) there were signnificant problems using TileMill with an OSM Carto-derived style (not least - there are so many tabs that they disappeared off the screen).  I tend to just reload when I want to rerender.  When changing my own OSM Carto-derived map style I use https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/update_render.sh and https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/update_carto.sh to reload data (the first if a lua script has changed and the database needs to be reloaded; the second if only a style file has changed and the style just needs to be recompiled).

If you want to see how changes are done
I would recommend looking at pull requests
and commit history.

I tried to summarise "Adding a change to OSM Carto" at https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/diary/43041 ; some of that won't be relevant but some of it might still be - things like testing the effect of a colour change.

If you haven't seen it already, please do read https://ircama.github.io/osm-carto-tutorials/git-workflow/ and the related tutorials there - they're excellent!

Best Regards,

Andy