On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 4:27 AM, Manikanta Srinivas
<srinivas...@outlook.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your efforts. We are interested in QinQ implementation of
> openvswitch. After going through the patch, we are left with following
> queries.
>
> 1. We think there should be a separate mode to support qinq tunnel. This can
> be achieved by implementing a new configuration parameter in ovsdb. Do you
> have any plans to implement this approach or any other ideas ?

What kind of new configuration do you have in mind?

> 2. The structure "sw_flow_key" should be extended to represent the
> information of outer VLAN (service VLAN) in flow key. Similar change is also
> required in flow structure (lib/flow.h) used in user space.

We don't strictly need those changes for Thomas' patch.  open-flow1.0
and 1.1 support
exactly one vlan tag.  Open flow 1.1 requires 802.1ad tag to be recognized.
Thomas' patch is a great step forward to support Openflow 1.1.

Openflow 1.2+ removed packet parsing requirements. So we could support
the model you proposed.
However, this would limit us to support fix number of VLAN tags, for
example, double tagging as you have suggested.
This is not a bad idea and should cover most of the use cases out
there.  On the other hand,  Openflow
spec does not rule out supporing multiple vlan tags. Since we are
going to support MLPS label stacking, we could also support
vlan stacking without much added efforts.

> Please correct our understanding if we went wrong somewhere.

This is good time to voice your opinion and use cases.  We'd like to
flush out the design for openflow 1.2+ support.
Thank you for your interest and participation.