On 07/15/2015 04:03 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 12:09:21PM -0700, Alex Wang wrote:
>> With you suggestion, first, the logical port name in ovn-nb can be
>> duplicated.
>> And if that is allowed, we need to pass the "options" down to ovn-sb
>> Binding table to uniquely binding the vtep lport to vtep chassis.
>
> I'm starting to wonder whether we need global uniqueness for logical
> port names, or just uniqueness within a logical datapath.

I think it has to be globally unique, right?  ovn-controller uses the
port name to match ports that appear on the local switch to a logical
port.  How would we match the exact logical port if it's not globally
unique?

Technically we could use the logcial port row's UUID, but I think that
makes integration more difficult.  It will break Neutron integration, at
least.  In OpenStack, Neutron has a UUID for its own logical port db
entry, and *that* UUID is what is used as the iface-id when a VM gets
plugged in to the switch.  OVN integration is pretty easy since we can
just specify Neutron's UUID as the OVN logical port name.

--
Russell Bryant