From:   John McDowall <jmcdow...@paloaltonetworks.com>
To:     Ryan Moats <rmo...@us.ibm.com>
Cc:     "dev@openvswitch.org" <dev@openvswitch.org>
Date:   2016/06/28 09:46
Subject:        Re: [ovs-dev] SFC-Summary: MultiTenant
Sent by:        "dev" <dev-boun...@openvswitch.org>

http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2016-June/073836.html

Ryan,

Trying to keep the thread to a single subject so we can knock them off.

There are two cases for multi-tenancy:

  1.  The VNF is multi-tenant: This implies that a single VNF can exist as
a port-pair in multiple logical networks. For this to happen the VNF has
to support two features:
     *   Separate management planes so different tenants can manage them
independently
     *   Ability to handle overlapping IP-Address ranges in the control
and data planes.
  2.  The network can be logically separated into different segments with
overlapping IP address ranges. This is one of the functions of OVS/OVN I
thought or do I have a key mis-understanding? If a VNF has its logical
ports in the namespace of a specific logical switch then there should be
no barrier to multi-tenant networks - or am I missing something
fundamental?

I think 1) is a vendor issue and while we can make it easy for them they
still need to do the work to separate the management/control and data
planes?

Thoughts?

John