Hi Bertrand,

As you noted, the release process uses the Apache RAT to scan all the
built TAR files and our own Scancode utility scans files at "build time"
for both PR and release (master or named release) builds.

We have endeavored to document our use of these scanning utilities within
the context of our release process  here:
- "License Compliance":
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-release/blob/master/docs/license_compliance.md

On this page, we describe our usage of both RAT and Scancode as well as
detailing, in great depth, all file inclusions down to every file type we
have across all repos.

In addition (for convenience and to prove thoroughness), we have
identified all known exclusions (all in accordance with Apache policy) by
repo. here:
-
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-release/blob/master/docs/license_exclusions.md

and you surmised correctly that the Scancode utility usage is documented
where it lives in the incubator-openwhisk-utility repo. here:
- description/install/build/run basics:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-utilities
- full usage:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-utilities/blob/master/scancode/README.md

Fee free to ask any question about licenses and scanning as this has been
my life for the last many months...

Kind regards,
Matt