By "critical path" you mean the path during action invocation?
The current PR only introduces latency on that path for the case of a Paused
container changing to Running state (once per transition from Paused ->
Running).
In case it isn't clear, this change does not affect any retry (or lack of
retry) behavior.

Thanks
Tyson