Upgrading the internal version of ORC that is bundled into Hive 1.2 will be
a lot of work. To be honest, you should strongly consider moving to Hive
2.3 (or later), which uses the standalone ORC 1.3. Upgrading that to ORC
1.5 or 1.6 would be relatively straightforward.

The short answer is that there have been a lot of performance improvements
and bug fixes, but I've never run benchmarks between those particular
versions.

.. Owen