Hi David,

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM, David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> 1. Don't use Windows for this, it demands far more resources than this size
> needs, needs a lot of Unix emulation glue and is excessively expensive. If it
> has to be hosted on a Windows machine, use the Microsoft virtual machine
> technology to run a Linux VM.

Where do you get this knowledge from? Typically, OTRS is deployed on
mod_perl, Perl itself performs very comparably on Windows vs Linux,
just as Apache; the same goes for our 'default' database which is
MySQL. In my experience, especially with these low ticket volumes, a
comparable specced machine as your mentioned Linux box but running
Windows will do just fine. We typically prefer Linux, but if your
environment is not HUGE and if your team only has Windows skills,
Windows is just fine.

Of course, if you have benchmarks to show that OTRS or Perl or MySQL
or... on Windows is SO MUCH slower than on Linux, I'd be interested to
see these!

> 2. i3-class processor should be more than sufficient on Linux, i5-class if
> you run Windows
> 3. 1G of RAM should be plenty (if you run it on Linux; no less than 4G if you
> run Windows

Again, as I said, I think a small VM with 1GB Windows would also
absolutely work just fine if you have a limited number of agents.

--
Mike