Thanks for the reply, good point about new users. I'm thinking it can be
resolved by using a ~lazy job that corrects their situation.

Regardless, can I mark those system articles as read through an EventModule?

------

I don't have a very firm position on the best approach for system articles.
In our situation, agents REALLY don't want to see them. For AgentTicketZoom
this was, fortunately, resolved by enabling filters and then each agent
filtered out those system articles. This calmed them down but now they have
a new complaint. They feel misled by the tickets-with-unread-articles
counter from the main toolbar. They don't want it to take under account
tickets that only have unread system articles. The best solution would be
to mark system articles as read as they are created.

I don't think it's worth your effort to not store auto-replies as articles
because they can can be filtered out in AgentTicketZoom. Value would be
added - at least in my situation - if you can somehow introduce the option
to disregard system articles for unread counts.